In the fall, political campaigns heat up. In the month of September, political campaigns should generally focus on:
* Canvassing: contacting targeted voters door to door
* Fundraising: candidate and staff phone calls and fundraising events
* Cable TV: if the campaign is investing in television, the first TV spot should hit in September
* Direct mail: design the direct mail piece or literature drop piece
* Mail literature: land late September
* ID phone calls: begin in late September
Where, however, do political lawn signs fit into this schedule? The best way to build up a list of supporters who want yard signs is at their door. Ideally, your yard sign distribution should follow a linear pattern with your the number of doors that you have knocked on in September.
If there is a strong candidate running and voters find the candidate’s message compelling, a good percentage of the people that you speak with at the door will express their support and a similarly strong percentage of people who are supporters will agree to take a yard sign.